At the Third International Conference on Financing for Development in Addis Ababa in July 2015, the international community recognised that delivering the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs will require not only more resources, but also making sure that resources are used effectively. The Addis Ababa Action Agenda also recognised common goals and ambitions to strengthen international development co-operation and welcomed continued efforts to improve its quality, impact and effectiveness, including adherence to agreed development co-operation effectiveness principles. The GPEDC provides support to all development stakeholders in implementing effectiveness principles and commitments and is a dedicated space for all stakeholders to showcase successes and identify and scale up innovative approaches to development co-operation.
Therefore, this high-level side event will aim to:
- Demonstrate the importance of quality and effectiveness of all types of development co-operation for achieving the SDGs, in particular the effective provision and use of Official Development Assistance, presenting concrete examples.
- Show how the GPEDC – including its monitoring framework, implementation and policy support – can support review of FFD and SDG implementation, particularly in countries most in need.
- Provide an update on the preparations for the Nairobi High-Level Meeting of the GPEDC (28 November – 1 December 2016).
Speakers will include:
- Amb. Macharia Kamau, Permanent Representative of Kenya to the United Nations
- Mr. Tegegnework Gettu, UN Under-Secretary General and UNDP Associate Administrator
- Ms. Gina Casar, Executive Director, Mexican Agency for International Development Co-operation, Representative of the Mexican GPEDC Co-Chair
- Amb. Jeroen Verheul, Representative of the Dutch GPEDC Co-Chair
- Mr. Klaus Rudischhauser, Acting Director General for International Co-operation and Development, European Commission
- Mr. Haje Schutte, Head of the Statistics and Development Finance Division, Development Cooperation Directorate of the OECD
- Mr. Luca De Fraia, Deputy Secretary General, ActionAid Italia, Representative of the CSO Partnership for Development Effectiveness (CPDE)
- Ms. Louise Kantrow, Permanent Representative of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) to the United Nations
- Ms. Barbara Smith, USAID Deputy Assistant Administrator for Policy, Planning and Learning
- Moderator: Gülden Türköz-Cosslett, UNDP Deputy Assistant Administrator and Deputy Director of the Bureau for External Relations and Advocacy
effective development co-operation.